“Six degrees of separation is the idea that everyone is six or fewer steps away, by way of introduction, from any other person in the world, so that a chain of “a friend of a friend” statements can be made to connect any two people in a maximum of six steps.” (Source: Wikipedia, Six degrees of separation).
Isn’t that powerful? When you think of it, spreading the word and convincing 1,000,000 of persons to read a story to a beloved children shouldn’t be that hard after all! It’s just a matter of starting the wheel and spreading the word to the right persons. We just need a few passionate books lovers willing to share their passion with a little one for few minutes and done!
In a previous post (4 easy steps to reach 1 millions stories told to children all around the world), I suggested that the first step was to get 1 story told in each and every continent, that’s 7 stories. I do have friends living around the world, so let’s see if I could do this first step only by myself.
- North America – I can take care of this one – easy!
- South America – I have family in Chile – sounds good!
- Europe – I have friends in Germany – great!
- Asia – My best friend from university lives in Hong Kong – nice!
- Africa – A few of my work colleagues are born in Africa, they must still have relatives over there – doable!
- Australia – Oupps! I’ve been there visiting Sydney a while back, but I do not happen to know anyone right now by there. Anyone? Do one of you, reading this post, know someone who may know someone who may know someone (up to 6 times) who lives in Australia? I’m pretty sure the answer is yes (actually, I’m sure!). If you are not convinced, share this post with all your friends and we’ll see.
- Antarctica – There is probably not much children in Antartica, but there must be at least one, I’ll have to do some research there. Worst case, I’ll have to go! My son would be crazy going there and having his father read him a story sitting on an iceberg. On top of that, he loves penguins! 🙂
So, that looks like a quite good start, isn’t it? I’ll take care of 1 to 5… any volunteer to help with Australia and maybe with Antartica as well? Come on, that will take you only few minutes. 🙂